COVID-19 Trends – Midwest Hotels
- Posted by Cori Uddenberg
- On May 12, 2020
Recommendations and analysis updated June 22, 2020.
Regional Updates: Stay-At-Home/Shelter-In-Place Orders
- Some Midwest states are reopening. Here’s a breakdown.
- Despite coronavirus, business leaders in the region are optimistic.
- As of April 16, the Midwest states launched a joint effort to reopen, much like the Western States Pact.
- Forbes named various Midwestern cities in their ranking of the cities best-positioned to recover.
- Indianapolis and Marion County received $168 million in federal relief funds. $20 million is flagged for contact tracing, which could help get coronavirus under control in the region.
- The CDC flagged three Iowa counties as “areas of concern” for future outbreaks.
- Follow The New York Times to track each state’s reopening status.
Google Trends for Top Midwest Hotels Terms
Paid Media Trends – Midwest CPCs for Travel Terms
- CPCs for Google Ads are as low as they have been in recent memory.
- The average CPC in the U.S. for travel dropped from $0.76 in May to $1.66, but this does vary by state.
- Illinois has some of the highest CPCs in the Midwest at $0.81, while Nebraska CPCs are just $0.23.
- Paid media turned off? Still running at a low level? Optimize with our paid media recommendations.
- Consider adapting your strategy to the new needs of COVID-19.
Midwest Auction Insights
- One benefit of continuing to bid in Google Ads is that you’ll unlock Auction Insights.
- We recommend running your Google Ads at even just $1 per day so you can take advantage of these learnings.
- Learn more about how OTAs are responding to COVID-19 paid media trends.
Need insights specific to your hotel or resort?
Did you enjoy the read?
Get original hospitality industry insights delivered to your inbox. Sign up to receive Screen Pilot’s Weekly COVID-19 Resource Center Update.